vendredi 10 juin 2011

Key to Global Revision 1

I-                   Rewrite these sentences using a modal verb:

1-      I am not sure but the train might/may/could/can come late.
2-      I shouldn't have lied to you. I’m really sorry.
3-  Can/May I use your car? Mine has broken down.
4-       Ahmed could have lost all his money in that hazardous investment but he was lucky.
5-       Brahim had to sell his house to avoid bankruptcy last year.
6-       She can't have been at home this morning. I rang the bell ten times and nobody answered.
7-      I can’t find my keys. I must have forgotten them in the restaurant. That’s the only place I went to.
8-   Saudi women mustn't/can't drive cars. It is forbidden.
9-  I don’t know but I may/can/might have been busy when you called.
10- You don't have to/needn't shout. I’m not deaf.
11-  You should have apologised to him. He wouldn’t have got angry.
12- He can't have reached Fez so fast. It’s too far.

II-          Fill in the blanks with the correct words from the list:

1-      They come from different social backgrounds, that’s what prevents them from understanding each other.
(accurate – achievement – background – pattern – prevent – stereotype)
2-                              The struggle against illiteracy isn’t an easy one.
(asset – award – strength – struggle)
3-                              The end of the 20th century witnessed the advent of Internet which is considered a breakthrough  in communication.
(advent – basic – breakthrough – claim – dawn – massive)
4-                              I hope the money I spent on this car will be wothwhile.
(border – worthwhile – skilled  turmoil)

III-             Match these words to form collocations:

a- adult
b- high
c- gender
d- problem
e- health
f- cultural
1- care
2- gap
3- diversity
4- illiteracy
5- solving
6- priority

a
b
c
d
e
f
4
6
2
5
1
3



IV-             Functions:

1- Ahmed complains to his cell phone company because his cell phone doesn’t make calls.
Ahmed: I'm sorry to have to say this but my cell phone doesn't make calls.
The clerk apologises and asks Ahmed to hold on for a minute.
The clerk: I'm really sorry. Would you mind holding on for a second?
Ahmed accepts.
Ahmed: Certainly.
2-      Saïd: I have just got married.
Mimoun: That's wonderful news.
3-      Ayman’s car has broken down and he telephones the mechanic to ask for advice.
Ayman: My car has broken down, what should I do?
The mechanic advises Ayman not to do anything and to call the breakdown service.
The mechanic: You'd better no do anything, you shoul call the breakdown service.

يمكن استعمال عبارات أخرى

1- Agreeing
a- Poverty is the result of inappropriate government policies.
2- Disagreeing
b- It’s true that oil prices are high but the taxes imposed on them make them higher.
3- Effect
c- I couldn’t agree more.
4- Defining
d- I don’t think so.
5- Concession
e- Brain gain refers to the return of skilled of people to their native countries.


1
2
3
4
5
c
d
a
e
b


V-                Fill in the blanks with a phrasal verb:

1-      Never give in; you should keep on trying until you make it.
2-      The new president wants to bring about changes in policy.
3-      You have to _________________of your health more.
4-      We had to take the stairs because the lift had broken down.
5-      They never turn down anybody who needs help.
6-      Check their site to find out what time the train leaves.
7-      She took up aerobics so that she would lose weight.
8-      Most children want to become pilots when they grow up.
9-      She makes up skilfully; she looks younger than she really is

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire